You won’t be surprised to learn that New Zealand homes are targeted by burglars in summer more than any other season. There are many reasons for this, including people being away on holiday for long periods and windows and doors being left open. They all add up to increased demand for our products and services, including residential security alarms, CCTV and monitoring.
So, how can you make your home more secure this summer? The first thing to do is to get your security alarm checked by us, as faulty alarms that go off all the time are soon ignored. It might actually be time to upgrade your alarm to a new “smart alarm” that is not only far more reliable but is virtually impossible for burglars to deactivate; on the other hand, they find it relatively easy to disable older, wired systems. Here are a few other tips;
- Lock your doors and windows when you’re in the back garden. A professional crim only needs a few moments to gain access from the front and take what they need.
- Trim hedges and plants around doors and windows – bushy plants and hedges give burglars a perfect hiding place.
- At Christmas time, try and keep your tree, and all the presents under it, as out of sight as you can. It’s nice to show off the tree through a lounge window but those gifts can be hugely tempting to the wrong person.
- Walk around your property and check your fencing is secure.
- Keep garden sheds and garages locked when not in use, even when you’re home.
- Keep ladders tucked away, as well as anything else a burglar might use to gain access. If you’re going away, this might include any wheely bins that someone can climb onto.
- Get CCTV installed – this is now considered a major deterrent against crime, Sensor lights are a good idea too.
- Use a chain on the door and don’t open the door to strangers unless the chain is attached.
- If you want to keep a nice breeze coming through your home while you’re out the back, consider installing a mesh security screen on your front door.
- Join or form a Neighbourhood Support Group.
There is so much you can do to keep your home secure this summer. One of the best things to do is to contact Integrated Security Services and discuss the world-class products and services we can provide to better protect you and your property.