Do you want to know one of the biggest crime deterrents? The answer is CCTV camera installation. CCTV is something we specialise in, and we know burglars hate it because they told us so.
Investigative reporters at an OregonTV station recently interviewed inmates currently doing time in a local correctional centre. The inmates were asked about how they broke in, when the crime occurred and what they were looking for. The vast majority agreed that security cameras were a huge deterrent. But what else did they have to say? Their responses were very insightful and will help you make your home more secure. Here are a few of them:
- When asked how they’d typically break into a home, most inmates said they broke in through an unlocked door or window. Several burglars kicked the door open with one saying “I would kick in the door rather than break the glass. Loud bangs are better than loud glass breaking”
- When it came to the time of the day they preferred to break in, most said early morning or afternoon. One was quoted as saying: “Between 12:30 pm and 2:30 pm. Anyone that was home for lunch should be gone by then and most kids should all still be in school,”.
- On the question of knocking on the front door before breaking into a home, all inmates said they would knock on the front door before trying to gain entry.
- When questioned about what they’d do if a home alarm system went off, most intruders said they would leave immediately.
- If there was a vehicle in the driveway, almost all of the burglars said they’d think twice about breaking in. This endorses our advice of trying to leave a car in the driveway when going away on holiday, or for any length of time.
- When invited to describe the ideal target for a burglary, the inmates said they looked for homes with big fences and overgrown trees or bushes so they could easily hide. Older window frames and cheap wooden doors were also attractive.
- Finally, when asked for suggestions on what homeowners can do to prevent being burgled, most of the inmates said homeowners should make their property visible with good lighting and trimmed bushes and trees. As well as this, they should get to know their neighbours and invest in the best security products such as CCTV and smart alarms.
There you have it, straight from the burglar’s mouth. For the security products that deter them from going about their dishonest work, contact us and we’ll happily tailor-make a security solution for you.