Going Away On Holiday Or Business? Simple Precautions Can Boost Your Home’s Security
There is plenty to think about when planning a trip away such as accommodation, logistics, transport and more. Have you given much thought to your home’s security that it needs security camera systems in NZ while you’re away? Safety precautions can reduce the risk of your home being burgled while you’re gone, giving you one less thing to worry about when you should be relaxing.
We’ve put together a few tips on how you can safeguard your home when it's empty. Some of these tips may seem rather obvious and common-sense. However, planning a trip can get so busy and distracting that even basic safety needs are easy to overlook. To avoid this, take care of security arrangements in advance, and draw up a checklist that you can tick off to make sure everything is covered.
- Beef up security: Consider adding motion-sensor cameras, and security patrol services to your current arsenal. Some even integrate with apps so that you can remotely access your home’s security cameras and keep a watchful eye on your home from afar.
- Keep criminals in the dark: Get timer-controlled lights for your porch, balcony or any outside section. Set them to switch on just after sunset to keep your property well-lit.
- Sensor sensibility: Before your trip, test the sensors at all entry points to make sure they’re working. Contact your alarm company if you need assistance with this.
- Don’t give burglars a leg-up: Don’t make a break-in more convenient by leaving ladders or other equipment lying around the yard. The same goes for bolt cutters or any other item that can help a robber gain access into your home.
- You’ve got mail: Ask neighbours, friends or family members to assist with collecting incoming postal mail from your mailbox – on a daily basis if possible. Mailboxes with accumulated mail are a signal to would-be robbers that a home is unoccupied.
- Don’t give them an inch: Check that all windows, doors and potential access points are securely closed. Even the slightest gap could help a burglar get into your home.
- Check yourself: Juggling your luggage, air tickets, cell phone and keys as you leave for your trip can be tricky. Make sure you remember to arm and set your home security alarm, and check that all doors are locked before setting off.
Need more peace of mind? New Zealand’s Integrated Security Services can assist you with your home alarm, monitoring, security camera systems and NZ residential security needs. Contact us today for assistance.